Comparing the six months under review to the same period in 2010, 92.8 per cent of trains ran on time compared to 93.5 per cent last year. Performance has been adversely impacted by increasing levels of cable theft. However, Network Rail continues to reduce the number of infrastructure failures.
Financial highlights of the last six months
- Revenue was £2997 million compared to £2870 million for the same period last year
- Operating profit was £1227 million compared to £1124 million
- Profit after taxation was £136 million compared to £275 million
- Capital expenditure – the amount invested in the railway over the period – was £2071 million compared to £1732 million
- Net debt was £25,742 million compared to £25,049 million at the year ended 31st March 2011.